Packing for Cold Weather

As is my norm, I am loath to leave home for the maiden RV voyage of the season without spending at least a couple nights aboard, settling in.

This offers the opportunity to discover what I’ve forgotten to pack as well as whether anything has stopped working over the long, cold winter.

I have an advantage in that my RV dealer goes over everything during the de-winterizing process; from topping off fluids and checking for leaks, to running furnace, generator and air-conditioner (as IF I was going to need that this trip). Roof and over-cab seals were checked, and a couple of iffy spots resealed.

Still, because I completely empty and scrub Roada each Fall, I NEED time to pack and load a tiny-house worth of belongings. This year, unlike most, I only had two short days.

Roada returned from de-winterizing on Monday, late in the afternoon. I planned to leave for the trial Thursday early afternoon. That left a whopping two and a half days to not only haul and load a myriad of belongings and clothes, go grocery shopping to fill the frig and pantry, make up the queen bed (always fun in an RV), and load extra blankets (the dachshunds want at least two each, sofa throw size, placed at strategic locations throughout).

It seems to get more exhausting each year. Worth it, mind you, but this initial load-up whups my behind, my knees, my back …, with a multitude of trips upstairs to the bedroom and bathroom, downstairs to where I over-winter RV-only boxes, and then across the yard to Roada … and repeat. The rest of the summer is a breeze compared to the big Spring move.

This year in particular, due to the colder than usual temps, it was essential to check to be sure I have sufficiently warm coats, boots, socks, wool hats, scarves and gloves.

Departure day shot out my RV window. And this is at home, where it’s 10 degrees warmer than my destination.

It was also essential, for my peace of mind, to be absolutely certain the furnace is functioning flawlessly. The entire four and a half days of this trip are expected to have daytime highs that should hopefully hit near freezing (32°F), with nights in the mid-20s. 🥶

So, again for my peace of mind, I have already spent the past two nights, with Ronni for company, in the RV.

IT WAS COLD to the point (at dawn, both days) of being pretty darn near DANG COLD. Yes, this was partly due to trying to conserve propane. Also partially due to switching cold-turkey from sleeping in a thermostat-controlled warm house to an RV. The RV, while also controlled by a thermostat, is not nearly as well insulated and the heater runs on a simpler system.

Tuesday night, I also over-compensated on blankets, which meant I slept warm – but woke up every time I tried to roll over, feeling like I had thirty pounds of weight on top of me.

I had the thermostat set (for nighttime) just below 60°F. When it determines the temperature has dropped sufficiently BELOW the set temp, the furnace pops on at full volume to bring the temp back up to the number specified. I’d forgotten that little detail. Then it turns off again. Brr!

The first morning on board, I woke feeling like I’d run a marathon, my whole body tired from the struggles of fighting the blankets pinning me to the bed like a heavy-weight wrestler throughout the night. Bad plan.

I also awoke somewhat overheated, thus causing near heart failure when I pushed the mountain of blankets off and rolled out of bed – to be hit by approximately 50° air. The space by my bed is a mere two feet from the outside wall of the RV, and a large window. A lovely set-up all summer. On a 28° morning, not so much.

Note to self; lay large, plushy, over-sized pullover within reach before going to bed.

I spent Wednesday continuing to pack, sort, run to the store for forgotten items, and basically settling in. It takes me a while to remember the routine of RV living, and even more so after this past hectic winter.

Last night (Wednesday), I attempted a different plan. I left the furnace just a little above 60° and, at Jer’s suggestion, placed a soft, fleecy blanket under me. I wasn’t sure what that was supposed to accomplish, since Im already using flannel sheets, but what the heck. I also replaced the heavy comforter with a lighter weight but still substantial blanket.

Epic fail number two. I ended up wrapped like a mummy in the blasted blanket between the sheets and ended up getting up in the middle of the night to rip the darn thing from my bed.

Rhonda, who had been just fine with being rolled up like a burrito, was not pleased with me.

The rest of the night went fairly well though, so I’m thinking flannel sheets and just two medium blankets, with the furnace set at 60°, is probably the best sleep I’m going to get.

At least the thermostat is only about 8’ from the bed, so I can turn it up as soon as I’m out of bed in the morning.

Here’s a final shot from the gas station where I gassed up and topped off my propane. Finally! Time to go camping. Ronni & Baxter agree!

Gassed up and ready to hit the road! Those mountains (in a general way) are my destination.

Hurry up, Mom! What’s the hold-up?

Published by 2dachsnite

I’m a RV Sometimer (less than full time, but more than a weekend warrior) living in Alaska, with dreams of seeing the country in my RV. I am 70 years old and married, but my husband isn’t a fan of RV travel, so my journeys are mostly solo except for my navigators; dachshunds Baxter & Rhonda. I’m also a spinner of tales - and a spinner of yarn (my other passion). My spinning wheel, along with the dogs, go along on all my travels. I look forward to sharing my stories, including photos and videos, with you.

2 thoughts on “Packing for Cold Weather

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: